Thursday, July 12, 2012

Bucket List

Nike's infamous "Just Do It" slogan keeps reverberating in my brain these days. I think it's my middle-agedness. I can no longer escape the reality that there will be an unscripted ending.

The good news is that this knowledge has motivated me to define a few experiences I would like to have over the next year. I like realistic and achievable goals. For me, defining 3 to 5 goals for the year is more reasonable and manageable than listing 100 or 1000 things to do before I die.

My bucket list for 2012/13:

1) Travel to Scotland to see the World Highland Dancing Championships. As a past Highland Dancer and Highland Dancing Teacher, I assumed this was a given. But it hasn't happened in over 20 years. It is time. I am taking my mom, who supported my extracurricular activity to the extent that she is a Life Member of Calgary Highland Dancing Association, with me. Gratitude. Adventure. Nostalgia.

2) See 3 new muscles in my body. I'm not picky. Any 3 will do. Strength.

3) Kayak with my eldest son. Peace.

4) Walk in nature once a week. Beauty.

5) Camp in a tent with my sons. Wonder and awe.

What would be on your bucket list? Do you prefer to identify many items or just a few?







1 comment:

  1. Camping in tent with sons. CHECK. Dogs barking, crows cawing, rain, mosquitoes. Tree climbing, glowing stick dance, campfire songs, refrehing dip in the river, sand castles. Can't wait to do it again (except for the packing/unpacking)!

    ReplyDelete